- ReactJS, react-native, react-redux, redux-saga
I've been working full time as a software developer since 1998 and I love the intellectual thrill of writing code and solving problems.
I firmly believe that the days of a developer working by themselves in a room are over. Software Development is all about collaboration and the ability to work with other developers and clients is just as important as the ability to write code. I love to work with awesome, smart people making beautiful and exciting things. I love making things that people will use and enjoy.
I am not a great programmer.
I am a middle-of-the-road programmer.
I don’t think I’m a 10x programmer. I am not changing the world. I never invented a programming language or wrote a really amazing piece of software that everyone knows about.
So I have to make up for it other ways.
- I write decent code (mostly).
- I document things.
- I accept criticism.
- I’m always learning.
- I can stay organized in a large project.
- I work well with people, especially non-technical people.
- I can be an advocate for a talented team member who is being overlooked or mentor Junior developers.
- I can deal with jerks without getting upset.
- I can get things done. If there is a roadblock or someone is stuck, I can generally get things moving again
I’m going to bring value to the table in whatever way I can.
Places I've worked
Senior Backend Developer — VIA Studio (Dec 2015 - Current)
Senior Programmer Analyst — Kindred Healthcare (Sep 2013 - Nov 2015)
c# .net lua python asp.net asp.net-mvc php
- Lead developer on custom Windows service to route data from an AIX interface to SQL Server. Service requires high availability in order to process millions of records daily. Improved performance by migrating static SQL INSERT calls to using MERGE statements using User-defined Table Types.
- Lead developer on ASP.NET Web forms site for generating custom SSRS reports.
- Lead developer on ASP.NET MVC website for calculating nursing staffing needs.
- Lead developer on ASP.NET MVC website which allows respiratory therapists to review ventilator data and submit records back to ProTouch (Kindred's EMR).
- Lead developer on a C# desktop application for monitoring servers running ProTouch. Application includes ability to send batch commands to multiple servers. I improved performance by rewriting the batch-send threading code to use the .NET TPL (Task Parallel Library).
- Wrote a responsive ACO physician/facility directory website using PHP/MySQL. This site required quick turn around and was used to demonstrate our group's development capabilities to the new company CIO.
- Implemented work queue and Windows service monitoring using Nagios. Previously, we wouldn't find out about queue failures for days. Now we have real-time alerts.
- Wrote an internal website to allow developers working on the ProTouch UI layer to easily review their display modules.
- Updated all .NET applications and websites to use config file transformations to easily deploy to different environments. Previously, developers had to manually modify the config files for each environment.
- Added automatic build numbers to each .NET application and website to allow for easy version tracking on release. Previously, it was difficult to know which version was running in Production.
- Helped manage an Intern from the UofL Speed School. This included assigning projects, reviewing code, and assisting with development.
- Helped spearhead an initiative to migrate from Visual Source Safe and Subversion to Git.
Independent Contractor — Me! ((2002 - Current))
- Studymaker, LLC. Wrote PHP/Laravel/MySQL website for displaying data dashboards. Included custom REST API for pulling data together from multiple sources.
- Studymaker, LLC. Configured, managed, and wrote deploy scripts for hosting on AWS.
- Studymaker, LLC. Wrote an AngularJS application for calculating Procalcitonin changes. Involved close work with the FDA and a rapidly changing set of requirements – Studymaker, LLC. Worked on a data validation website built on top of the Redcap API. – Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard University. Wrote a mobile-friendly website for collecting patient medical information. Used by BIDMC doctors at the 2012 Democratic Convention at their mobile treatment stations.
- Studymaker, LLC. Wrote a Visual Basic .NET application to capture video from MicroVision Medical devices and upload videos to a central server.
- Movi, LLC. Wrote a MySQL replication daemon in Python. Database servers were linked together in a chain. Daemon monitored servers and routed connections in the chain around failed servers. Entire set-up ran on Amazon EC2 instances and provided a redundant database set-up for the Movi image collection website.
- Movi, LLC. Wrote a set of PHP library functions using the eBay API to allow easy scraping of images from eBay and eBay Motors auctions. Library was used primarily by overseas contract programmers to build up the Movi image library.
- Movi, LLC. Wrote a Python webcrawler that parsed Wikipedia pages and stored links and link relationships in a MySQL database.
- Studymaker, LLC. Wrote a variety of PHP/MySQL websites for data collection. Data collected was used for studies to improve patient care through more efficient and accurate record keeping and to measure the effectiveness of new drugs.
- Text Reviews, LLC. Wrote a set of Perl scripts to scrape publisher websites for textbook information. Resulting database was the primary source of sales revenue for the company.
- Zframe Corporation. Wrote VB .NET application that allowed a VBscript ASP page to more easily execute different types of system calls. Enabled ASP applications to run on cheaper and more restricted webhosts without a loss of functionality.
- BreathQuant Corporation. Wrote VBscript ASP pages and MSAccess forms for patient data collection. Data was used in several studies that developed algorithms for predicting pulmonary embolism and other common ER maladies.
Senior Interactive Developer — Power Creative (Aug 2008 - Sep 2013)
- Lead developer responsible for managing other developers and running projects.
- Work with Account Service department to determine client requirements, write RFPs and project specifications, and provide project estimates.
- Took over the development of a large C#/.NET project. Project was originally written by third-party contractors. Made back-end updates to improve speed, stability, and ease future development. Made front-end updates to improve user experience, including a mobile version.
- Developed custom sales portal website to allow a large client to manage its sales team, corporate documentation, and other photo and video assets. Site was written using object-oriented PHP and MySQL. Heavy emphasis was placed on the admin/content-management portion of the site for ease of client use.
- Notable project: Developed PHP-based REST API for the Power Creative Intranet.
- Notable project: Developed Power Creative’s first iPad app for Lennox Residential using Appcelerator Titanium (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comfortcenter/id420762669?mt=8)
- Notable project: Developed the “Design-a-Fireplace” custom fireplace builder for Lennox Hearth Products using VBScript/Classic ASP (http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/creative-spark/daf/)
- Notable project: Developed process for automatically syncing Classic ASP/SQL Server website data between the development, staging, and production servers. This process drastically reduced errors caused by manual copying as well as the amount of time spent manually copying changes between servers.
- Notable project: Developed the Kentucky Shakespeare website using WordPress/PHP (http://kyshakespeare.com/)
- Initiated team-wide use of Subversion for version control.
Senior Programmer Analyst — The Stevenson Company (Sep 2002 - Aug 2008)
Software Developer — ZFrame Corporation (Jan 2000 - Sep 2002)
c++ palmos vbscript asp
Software Developer — PinPoint Corporation (Aug 1998 - Jan 2000)